Work First Family Assistance

Work First Family Assistance


The Work First program is cash assistance for families with minor children.  It is a monthly check to assist families on a short-term basis. Work First provides parents with short-term training and other services to help them become employed and move toward self-sufficiency.  Families in which grandparents and relatives who are caring for their relative children and legal guardians may also be eligible for Work First Family Assistance.  They must meet certain eligibility guidelines.

Benefit Diversion

Benefit Diversion is a cash payment alternative to traditional Work First Family Assistance.  It is designed to deal with a specific crisis or episode of need.  Benefit Diversion is also not intended to meet recurrent or ongoing needs, nor to be extended beyond three months.  A family must meet the eligibility criteria for Work First Cash Assistance.  However, not every family is a candidate for Benefit Diversion.  Some families may be better served by ongoing Work First Cash Assistance.  A Work First Case Worker will assess each family to determine their need.

Emergency Assistance

Emergency Assistance is designed to assist families’ emergency needs, such as utility cut-off or an eviction notice.  This program is a nonrecurring, short-term benefit designed to deal with a specific episode of need.  Not intended to meet recurring or ongoing needs; and not to extend beyond four months.

200% Services

Work First services may be provided to any family that currently does not received a Work First Cash Assistance payment with income at 200% of the Federal Poverty Level.  Work First services are designed to support job related services and must be provided on a short-term and non-recurring basis.

How Do I Apply?

You can apply at Harnett County Department of Social Services 311 W. Cornelius Harnett Blvd., Lillington, NC  27546.


Work First Cash Assistance Application PRINT PAPER APPLICATION English

Work First Cash Assistance Application -  IMPRIMIR APLICACIÓN EN PAPEL Spanish

To apply online now, click HERE

In office at: Harnett County DSS located at 311 W Cornelius Harnett Blvd Lillington, NC 27546



As a Work First recipient how much will I receive?

Benefit amounts are based on household size and current income. 


Do I receive daycare assistance automatically as a Work First recipient?

Being a Work First recipient does not automatically qualify you for daycare assistance. Your WFFA caseworker evaluates that as an option and will discuss this with you in further detail at application.  However; if you are in need of daycare assistance you may contact the childcare subsidy intake line at (910) 814-6651.   


How can I apply for Benefit Diversion?

Benefit Diversion is a benefit program that is under the Work First Program, you must meet qualifications for Work First in order to be considered for Benefit Diversion. 


How long does it take to receive my first Work First payment?

Processing time for applications vary, caseworkers have up to 45 days to process applications. This does not necessarily mean it will take 45 days.  Payments are issued differently depending upon your case type. Your caseworker can provide more information. 


Contact Us:


Fax number 910-912-1628

Tara Dixon / 910-814-6627 / 

Sherra McDougald / 910-814-6629 / 

Syvonne Smith / 910-814-6639 / 

Melissa Stevens / 910-814-6554 / 

Chrystal Johnson-Hammons / Lead Worker / 910-814-6633 /  

Tammy Matthews / Supervisor/ 910-814-6628/ 

Becky Wise / Program Manager / 910-814-6693 /